Holds 4 ounces of liquid. Drip-guard handle keeps juice from running onto your fingers; keeps pops covered in freezer. Base stably holds molds upright while freezing. Plastic molds are BPA-free.
Some note molds break more easily than expected.
Mold tray makes 10 at a time. Each mold holds 3 ounces of liquid. Aluminum frame and plastic lid keeps pops intact while freezing; holds sticks in place. Produces classic-shaped treats.
Lid can be difficult to remove. Some reports of metal staining.
Aluminum frame and lid holds 10 BPA-free plastic molds. Each mold holds 3 ounces of liquid. Frame holds molds in place while freezing. Aluminum lid is grommeted to secure included sticks.
Some reports of odd residue when wet. Takes up space.
Made of food-grade, 18/8 stainless steel for longevity and durability. Holds over 3 ounces of liquid mix. Comes with gaskets to secure sticks while freezing. Can be unmolded one at a time.
Pricier than plastic molds. Some sets show poor craftsmanship.
Creates classic twin design with 2 handles per mold. Drip-guard handles catch leaks and seal pops while freezing. Each mold holds 4 fluid ounces for two 2-ounce halves. Dishwasher-safe and BPA-free.
Only 4 twin molds per set. Some questions about durability.
We recommend these products based on an intensive research process that's designed to cut through the noise and find the top products in this space. Guided by experts, we spend hours looking into the factors that matter, to bring you these selections.
Everyone enjoys a treat, especially when it is cold and yummy like a popsicle. However, most store-bought goodies contain little more than water and sugar, making them temporarily satisfying at best with no real nutritional benefits. This points to a simple solution: purchase a popsicle mold so you can be fully in control of what you put into your body.
The best popsicle molds have built-in handles to reduce waste, are manufactured using BPA-free materials, and are neither too big nor too small. If you are making popsicles for children, a fun shape is always appreciated, and you will want enough cavities in your mold to ensure no one goes without a treat.
For the most part, popsicle molds are manufactured using one of three materials: plastic, silicone, or stainless steel.
Plastic popsicle molds are inexpensive and easy to use. They are not as durable as stainless steel, however, and they may crack. Also, these models can be stubborn when it comes to releasing your finished popsicle and often require additional methods, like soaking the mold in warm water. However, as long as they are certified safe (no BPAs), they will hold up just fine for home use.
Silicone is water-repellent, so removing your finished popsicle usually isn't a problem with these molds. Additionally, they have much greater flexibility when it comes to shape. With silicone, you can create popsicles in the form of just about anything you can imagine. On the downside, silicone can easily puncture or tear, so care must be taken when using this type of mold. Additionally, silicone sticks to itself, so storage can be tricky.
Stainless steel popsicle molds are durable and easy to clean, but they are also harder to find. What’s more, stainless steel popsicle molds cost more and easily get scratched.
A popsicle mold that holds 3 or 3.5 ounces of fluid is usually large enough to be satisfying but small enough that it can be consumed before melting becomes an issue. If you are looking for a mold to make popsicles for a toddler, however, 1.5 ounces is a good size.
If the mold is just for you, the number of popsicles it can make probably isn't an issue. However, if you have six people in your family and purchase a mold with only four cavities, that is going to cause a problem. Look for a popsicle mold that can make enough popsicles for your needs.
If you are concerned about creating waste, look for a popsicle mold that has built-in handles or reusable sticks.
Adults may be fine with the traditional shape, but a popsicle that looks like a bunny will be much more fun for a child to eat.
Some popsicle mold sets are not intended for toddlers, as they may have sharp edges or feature wooden popsicle sticks. Be sure the mold that you get is appropriate for the youngest person using it.
Although not a big concern, a popsicle mold that comes with a recipe booklet allows you to get started making treats right away.
A popsicle mold set that includes a funnel can help ensure a mess-free transfer of your popsicle mix to the mold.
Most popsicle molds are built into a tray. This is a highly desirable feature because you will need your popsicle mold to remain upright and stable in order to achieve the best results.
Some popsicle molds are manufactured to be stackable units that lie flat so they take up less space in your freezer. If you have a small or low freezer, this is the best option for you.
The easier it is to clean your popsicle mold, the more often you will likely use it. Some sets include special cleaning tools, like a soft brush. If this sounds desirable to you, look for a popsicle mold set with this feature.
At the budget end of the price spectrum, you can find basic plastic popsicle molds that allow you to create up to six popsicles at a time. For many families, these models may be just fine. They are mostly priced between $6 and $10.
If you'd like to upgrade your experience to a silicone mold that can make popsicles in the shape of animals or characters — or if you need to make more than six popsicles at a time — you'll have to pay a little more. The popsicle molds featuring these benefits cost roughly between $10 and $20.
Once you get into stainless steel molds with bamboo sticks, the price will rise significantly. A small stainless steel popsicle mold set can cost $30, but most products made from these materials run between $50 and $100.
No matter what kind of popsicle you want to make, it is a six-step process from start to finish.
Pick a recipe. This is the second-best part of making popsicles because it is when you search for that recipe that has all your favorite ingredients. If you are an experienced popsicle maker, you may even have a yummy recipe that you created yourself.
Gather your ingredients and get a mixing bowl, blender, and whatever else you need, and make the popsicle of your dreams.
Using a container with a spout (so there is less mess), fill the cavities in your mold to the appropriate level. Seal them up, if needed, so they are ready for step four.
Place your mold in the freezer and wait (the hardest part). Depending on your recipe, the size of your mold, and how well your freezer works, this part can take a couple of hours to overnight. Remember, the more often you open the door to check on your popsicle progress, the longer it is going to take.
Unmold your popsicles. Do not forcefully remove a popsicle from its mold, as doing so could break your popsicle and leave you quite sad. Use warm water (never hot) to free up your treat so it slips out without incident.
Enjoy the fruits of your labor. The best part of making popsicles is eating them!
A. The best way to remove homemade popsicles from a mold without compromising the shape or making a mess is to find a container large and tall enough to fit your mold. Fill that container with warm (not hot) water and place your popsicle mold in the water for about 20 seconds. Remove the mold from the water, place it on a flat surface, and remove your popsicle.
If, for any reason, this does not work, simply place the mold back in the warm water for another 20 seconds and try again. Remember, 20 seconds is an average amount of time; it may take longer or shorter to free your popsicle.
A. Yes, but how you clean it depends on the material with which it was made. The best cleaning method is the one that is outlined in the accompanying instructions, but in general, washing with warm, soapy water, rinsing thoroughly, and allowing the mold to air dry is all it takes. It is important to note that materials such as silicone and stainless steel may require a little more care.
A. BPA is bisphenol, a chemical that has been in plastics since the 1960s. This chemical leaches from plastic to food, which is why there is public concern. Research studies to determine if BPAs are safe are ongoing, with many concluding that at very low levels, it is not harmful. However, it has been linked to issues with behavior, the brain, and the prostate in fetuses, infants, and children. Additionally, it may cause hypertension.