Biscuits, pancakes, French toast — there’s no better way to start the day than with a homemade breakfast. And if you have a simple recipe, these three breakfast breads are easy to whip up in the mornings, whether it’s a weekend or workday.
We got these recipes from a family of Southern bakers. They’re easy enough to make with your kids, and you can always double the ingredients if you’re cooking for more people or you want leftovers for busy mornings.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Pinch of baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups whole milk buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl, preferably a heavy one. Add shortening to the bowl and combine with flour mixture using a pastry cutter until your mixture looks like flakes and peas. If you don’t have a pastry cutter, you can use two knives to do this.
3. Make a “well” in the center of your bowl by pushing the flour/shortening mixture to the sides of the bowl. Pour in the buttermilk and begin incorporating it by pulling in the flour/shortening mixture with a fork. When fully incorporated, you’ll have a fairly wet, loose dough.
4. Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured surface (wax paper or a clean countertop will work). Fold the dough over onto itself several times, using floured hands. Do this until the dough holds together enough to pat out into a circle, about one inch thick.
5. Take a two-inch circle cutter, dip it in flour, and then cut the biscuit dough. Don’t twist the cutter; lift it straight up. If the dough comes with it, gently shake the cutter until the biscuit releases.
6. Place biscuits, gently touching, on a greased pan and bake for approximately 15 minutes.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups whole milk buttermilk
1 heaping teaspoon of baking powder
1 level teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 cup cooking oil (canola or vegetable)
Pinch of salt
1 cup whole milk or half and half
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 loaf of brioche bread, in 3/4-inch slices
Cameron Pitts is a writer for BestReviews. BestReviews is a product review company with a singular mission: to help simplify your purchasing decisions and save you time and money.
BestReviews spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing and testing products to recommend the best picks for most consumers. BestReviews may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
Get your FREE happier,
healthier YOU guide.
We’ve compiled lots of fun ideas to be more fit, active, and happy—delivered straight to your inbox when you sign up.